Sunday 31 January 2016

A Game of Thrones

So, I played in my first A Game of Thrones Card Game Tournament in my local store a few weeks ago.  This was a game that I had exactly no experience of, having played only 4 games of it ever before.  I took the Nights Watch as my deck, and it was made up of 2 base sets worth of Nights Watch Cards, plus the first expansion, and some unaligned cards.

So, I enter the tournament, I play some games.  I don't know all the rules, my deck has never been tested, I don't have access to a full card pool so the deck is sub optimal, and I've no real idea what I am doing.  Anyone want to guess how that ended?

So, first game was against a local player, Ben Davies, who had been the person I had played 3 of my learning games against.  He brought Greyjoy/Lannister, and it was a walkover.  Essentially, I had no answers to his threats and no idea what I would do to answer them.

Game two, against Andy and his Lannister/Targaryen deck was much the same.  I got thoroughly beaten, but I did learn a fair amount of how to play.  Andy was a thoroughly nice guy, and a lot of fun to play against.

Going into lunch, I am 0-2, and so I know that I am not going to be doing much in this, but I have learned an awful lot about how the game works, what the meta is like, and the like.

Game three was against Mike, the organiser, and his Stark deck based around the Direwolves.  I won, and this may have more to do with Mike's testing a new deck than any ability on my part, but it felt like there was at least some improvement in my play, game on game.

So, my final place was 6th, and I got the alt art card for participation.  the next tournament in on the 28th February, and I am hoping that I will have had the chance to play a bit more before then.  So far, my modified decklist looks like this

Faction
1x The Night's Watch

Agenda
1x Fealty

Characters
3x Benjen Stark
3x Jon Snow
3x Maester Aemon
3x Ghost
3x Ser Waymar Royce
3x Ranging Party
3x Veteran Builder
3x Old Bear Mormont
3x Steward at the Wall
2x Yoren
2x Will
2x Samwell Tarly
2x Messenger Raven
2x Old Forest Hunter
2x Littlefinger

Locations
3x The Wall
3x The Kingsroad
3x The Roseroad
3x Castle Black

Events
2x Take the Black
2x Tears of Lys

Attachments
3x Longclaw
2x Milk of the Poppy

Plots
2x A Feast for Crows
1x Calling the Banners
1x Confiscation
1x Reinforcements
1x Supporting the Faith
1x Wildfire Assault

Any suggestions or thoughts gratefully appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment